Monday, February 25, 2008

Toward the Future and From the Past

1. Writing this play actually ended up being a lot more of a trail than I expected! Not being able to use a narrator made me realize that my dialogue between my characters was going to have to be lengthy and complex. It was fun being on the other side of the play because rather than watching a play we were creating it. Also sometimes a scene for you was very easy to understand while it's very complicated for your peer evaluators. The three rough drafts made the process long but more successful. Overall if a five page play takes THAT long, I’m glad I’m not Shakespeare.

2. If I were to give a ten year old advice my words of wisdom would probably be, never take the little things in life for grant it and take advantage of childhood. I would say this because too many children these days are going up way to fast. No longer do ten year olds want to play outside; they want to have cell phones and act like grown ups. I took advantage of my childhood and I am grateful to my parents for having urged me to explore the world around me. It would be a terrible a loss if all ten year olds only played video games. Being able to appreciate the world young makes you a happier and more grateful adult.


3. There are several things that make a novel have a great impact and last forever. First of all, the story has to effect and relate to the people of the author's time. Shakespeare or Jane Austen would never have been so well known if their types of stories and comedies hadn't appealed to the men and women of their era. The author of "forever novels" also has to have witty and quick dialogue that excites the audience as well as have a plot that isn't generic and bland. In a perfect world it would be nice to have one of my books read by millions and later become a novel that lives on forever but truthfully that will never happen. I don't think my stories would be catchy enough and I’d have to improve my writing quite a bit. Overall, everlasting novels are great but I’d rather read them, not write them.

4 comments:

Pimpin' All Over the World said...

I definitely think that doing more as a child and exploring a lot of different things make you a happier adult. I know some people that didn't do much as a kid, and now they are regretting it because they have so many responsibilities now and no time to do anything fun. Also, in the play I agree that sometimes you picture how your play would be acted out in your head and it doesn't really come off that way to your audience all the time.

lauren said...

I also found that I was forced to create much more lengthy conversations because I wasn't able to use a narrator in between the dialogue. Not having that comfort was difficult, but I found it was good to explore a new way of writing.

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that children are growing up way to fast, with cell phones and ipos, and video games little kids forget what it means to go play outside, and explore nature.

olivia said...

Having your dialogue be stong and have your readers/ watchers understand is a hard thing to do so I totally agree.
growing up too fast is something that happens alot with todays kids. I agree with having someone just go outside and let their imagination go.!
relating to the time is one of the great things of writers. However, I think that the classic stories are timeless and relate to all eras of time!