Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Blogging: Theme

Tuesday, February 12, 2008


1. After having read various different novels through out my life, I have come to realize that great pieces of literature actually portray the theme through events and characters that show these traits. "The Great Gatsby" is a perfect example of this theme portrayal. Jay Gatsby along with Daisy and her husband revolve around this idea that materialism does NOT lead to idealism. The way the story plays out, people can see that the events occurring and the theme presented are very much parallel to each other. Though there may be come exceptions to the general rule but overall, must go novels have vivid themes.


2. There are several different themes that I feel I could express rather well in a personal play of mine but the most important one to me would be the theme; happiness is simple and complications of life hide that simplicity. I see this theme as a way to truly show something I believe to be true. We as a society complicate life trying to live it to the fullest. If we didn't do such a thing then maybe people would realize that happiness and fulfillment are right in arms grasp and all you need to do is reach for it.


3. The conflict I would use would be the person versus person conflict. I feel that the person versus self conflict would be rather complicated to portray and I would prefer to keep things simple. An old fashioned hero versus villain conflict has always caught my eye because there is so much you can work with in that situation. I would probably have my hero and villain fighting over something or someone the hero had once lost but wants back, maybe a lover’s trifle or some problem similar to that one. It makes things a lot more intense and on the edge!

3 comments:

Pimpin' All Over the World said...

sylvie: i definitely agree with your idea of a possible theme for a play. i think people, including myself, tend to make life way more complicated than it needs to be and in the end we miss out on a lot of good stuff. it would be harder to portray this, but it would be really interesting to see it done.

olivia said...

sylvie,
I agree with the idea of person versus person as a conflict for a play. It always makes a story of any kind way more interesting! The conflict can be played off in many different ways; verbal or physical.

Anonymous said...

I think trying to find happiness, is an good theme to wright about. Your idea of person vs. villain sounds interesting, and there are alot of places you could go with that theme.