Thursday, March 13, 2008

Poem and Analysis

I chose the song "Sweet Isabel" by Enrique Inglesias

The autumn leaves are falling
Like tears from her eyes
There's no reason recalling
The pain you felt inside

And I know you're feeling like you should run away, run away
And I know you're wandering oh why you should stay why you should stay

Oh sweet sweet Isabel
Just believe it will be alright
Sweet sweet Isabel
No you don't have to leave tonight

You feel that change is coming
But you were so afraid inside
I know your heart's been broken
Oh way too many times

And I know you're feeling like you should run away, run away
[Sweet Isabel lyrics on http://www.metrolyrics.com]


Oh sweet sweet Isabel
Just believe it will be alright
Sweet sweet Isabel
No you don't have to leave tonight (you don't have to leave tonight)
You don't have to leave tonight(3x)

No you don't

Sweet sweet Isabel
Just believe it will be alright
Sweet sweet Isabel
No you don't have to leave tonight

The autumn leaves are falling
Like tears from her eyes
There's no reason recalling
The pain you felt inside

I selected this poem because my sister and I love Enrique's music to pieces and this song is my favorite. Though it sort of sounds depressing its actually quite an uplifting song. It's the fourth most played song on my itunes! I find this poem interesting because it doesn't hide anything and tells the girl to stop running and hiding because it will all be alright! Such great moral support!

The title is actually quite easy to understand since it is the girl "Sweet Isabel" that enrique is singing about in his song. Her name is sung several times in the chorus and actually i'm pretty sure that the Isabel he is singing about is his sister. Just a little fun fact.

I found two poetic devices used in this song/poem. The first I found was a simile actually right in the first stanza. "The autumn leaves are falling like tears from her eyes. " This really actually emphasizes the imagery of the pain the girl is feeling. Helps to create more of a deeper feeling in the listener when reading/listening to this song. The other device I found was the alliteration in the repeated phrase "Sweet sweet Isabel." The "S" sound made it more of a soft feeling and less harsh then say "Nice Nice Isabel".


The tone in this piece is sad but uplifting at the same time. He succeeded in creating the tone by using words that really express sad feelings and moods. "pain, hurt, cry" all those words help show that this song has a more serious tone then some of Enrique's might.

No comments: