Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Characteristics of a well-told story

Part One: Stories in childhood are very important! It helps to further a child's imagination and help them understand the world. Stories are for entertaining children as well as teaching them something. Children learn moral values, the goods and the bads in life as well as a general sense of language and culture.


Part Two: Readers who are of the adult age tend to read for different reasons. Sometimes they MUST read because of a school project or assignment but other times readers read to get a different perspective on a subject or learn something new. An older reader will generally learn more intricate lessons of life rather than the "don't cross the street without looking both ways lesson."


Part Three: In America, we pride ourselves upon our declaration of freedom of speech. Stories fit into the fabric of our nation identity by allowing each American citizen to tell a story that shaped their lives. People's stories help create discussion by bringing up subjects that are otherwise not discussed such as abortion, global warming and the death penalty. Stories also allow a writer and reader relate and communicate through their settings and events. Overall, stories are very important in many peoples' lives.


Part Four: I loved the book "Goodnight Moon" when I was little I guess because of the images within the novel. That one I can specifically remember, but a story I enjoyed that was told to me orally was the "Chasseur et le Lapin." It was a french story/song that my mother would sing to me before I would go to bed. It spoke of a rabbit that was being chased by a hunter and that asked for shelter from a deer in his home. I liked that story because I related it to the good and the bad and I loved the hand motions that went along with it!

Part Five:
- The climax of the story should be unsuspected and should take you off guard. (like in a mystery)
- Characters shouldn't be overwhelmingly falt and the reader should be able to connect with at least ONE of the characters.
- Action packed story that doesn't have any dull and boring descriptions in it.
- An epilogue: I love those just because it makes for a great happy ending conclusion.
- Author should tie all the unanswered questions together at the end. I don't like when there are loose ends.
- Should be a unique and original plot setting (fanasty or mystery). I hate feeling like i've already heard that story before.
- Overall the story should consist of an underlying lesson or theme that can be taught to its readers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree a story should definetly be original, and it is more interesting to read a story when you can identify with one of the characters.